Rapper MIA வுக்கு USA தடை!

இலங்கை வழி தமிழரான, இலண்டனில் பிறந்து வசித்து வரும் பிரபல பாடகி MIA மாதங்கி அருட்பிரகாசத்துக்கு அமெரிக்க அரசு தடை!!! இவரின் தந்தை ஒரு விடுதலைப்போராளி என்பது குறிப்பிடத்தக்கது.

1610469985.jpg

Brit rap star M.I.A. banned from US

(Wednesday May 24, 2006 07:06 PM)

Critically-acclaimed British rapper M.I.A. has been barred from entering the US to work on her new album, it has been revealed.

The star - whose real name is Maya Arulpragasam - posted a message on her website explaining that she had been due to work with top American hip hop producer Timbaland, but was now having to make the record elsewhere.

Arulpragasam, the daughter of a Tamil Tiger fighter, grew up in Hounslow, west London after fleeing Sri Lanka with her mother aged 11. Her debut album Arular, which saw her nominated for a Mercury Music Prize last year, features controversial lyrics about revolution.

In her most recent single, Sunshowers, she sings: "Like PLO I don't surrender."

Pull Up The People contains the line: "I've got the bombs to make you blow."

Arulpragasam, 28, does not explain in the website posting why she has been denied a visa. But numerous messages of support posted by fans suggest it is related to the political content of her songs.

Her artist's message, under the headline "They try to shut my door!" reads: "Roger roger do you here me over the US immigration won't let me in!"

She adds: "Now I'm strictly making my album outside the borders" and asks fans to spread the word using the internet.

Her UK record company, XL Recordings, would not comment on why she had not been able to get into America.

As a refugee with barely any English, Maya learnt the language from music and TV before eventually landing a place at the prestigious Central St Martin's College of Art and Design in London. She got involved in the music scene after Justine Frischmann, the one-time frontwoman of Britpop band Elastica, asked her to design an album cover and film the group's 2001 US tour.

source: http://uk.news.launch.yahoo.com/dyna/artic...tml&e=l_news_dm

Biodata: http://www.nndb.com/people/262/000101956/

லண்டன் பாடகி மாயாவுக்கு அமெரிக்கா விசா வழங்க மறுப்பு

[வியாழக்கிழமை, 25 மே 2006, 23:16 ஈழம்] [புதினம் நிருபர்]

உலகப் புகழ்பெற்ற பாடகியான MIA, ஈழத்தமிழர் ஒருவரின் மகள் என்பதால், பயங்கரவாதத்திற்கு ஆதரவு தருகிறார் என்ற குற்றச்சாட்டில், அமெரிக்கா செல்வதற்கான விசா மறுக்கப்பட்டுள்ளது.

MIA என்ற பெயரில் இசையுலகில் அறியப்பட்ட இவர், தாயகத்தில் பிறந்து 12 வயதில் லண்டன் சென்ற மாயா அருட்பிரகாசம், அமெரிக்கா உட்பட, பல நாடுகளிலும் புகழ்பெற்ற ஆங்கில துள்ளல் பாடல்கள் மூலம், இசையுலகில் பிரபல்யம் பெற்றுள்ளார்.

அமெரிக்காவின் ஹிப்-ஹொப் இசைத் தயாரிப்பாளர்களுடன் இணைந்து, புதிய இசை அல்பம் தயாரிக்கும் முயற்சிக்கான இவரது அமெரிக்க வருகைக்கு, இந்த மறுப்புத் தெரிவிக்கப்பட்டுள்ளது.

சிறிலங்காவில் நடைபெறும் ஆயுதப் போராட்டம், கடந்த 30 வருடங்களாகத் தொடரும் சிறிலங்கா அரசின் இன அடக்குமறை போன்றவற்றை, இவரது பாடல்களில் வரும் சில வசனங்கள் வெளிப்படுத்துகின்றன என்று தெரிவித்துள்ள அமெரிக்க குடிவரவு இலாகாவினர், இவரது விசாவை வழங்குவதற்கு மறுப்புத் தெரிவித்துள்ளனர்.

அமெரிக்காவின் புகழ்பெற்ற MTV, XL Records, Prodigy, Rapper Dizzee Rascal போன்ற பல பிரபல்யமான இசை நிறுவனங்களுடன் இசை ஆல்பம் தயாரிப்பதற்கான ஒப்பந்தங்கள் ஏற்கனவே உருவாக்கப்பட்டுள்ளதால், மாயா அமெரிக்கா வருவதற்கான தேவை இருக்கிறது. இருப்பினும், 28 வயது நிரம்பிய இந்த உலகப் புகழ்பெற்ற ஈழத்தமிழ் பாடகிக்கு, அவர் லண்டனை வதிவிடமாகக் கொண்ட போதிலும், விசா மறுக்கப்படுவதனால், உலகெங்குமிருந்து ஆயிரக்கணக்கான ரசிகர்களின் எதிர்ப்பு அமெரிக்க அதிகாரிகள் மீது கிளம்பியிருக்கிறது.

• கருத்துக்கள உறவுகள்

லண்டன் பாடகி மாயாவுக்கு அமெரிக்கா விசா வழங்க மறுப்பு

உலகப் புகழ்பெற்ற பாடகியான MIA, ஈழத்தமிழர் ஒருவரின் மகள் என்பதால், பயங்கரவாதத்திற்கு ஆதரவு தருகிறார் என்ற குற்றச்சாட்டில், அமெரிக்கா செல்வதற்கான விசா மறுக்கப்பட்டுள்ளது.

MIA என்ற பெயரில் இசையுலகில் அறியப்பட்ட இவர், தாயகத்தில் பிறந்து 12 வயதில் லண்டன் சென்ற மாயா அருட்பிரகாசம், அமெரிக்கா உட்பட, பல நாடுகளிலும் புகழ்பெற்ற ஆங்கில துள்ளல் பாடல்கள் மூலம், இசையுலகில் பிரபல்யம் பெற்றுள்ளார்.

அமெரிக்காவின் ஹிப்-ஹொப் இசைத் தயாரிப்பாளர்களுடன் இணைந்து, புதிய இசை அல்பம் தயாரிக்கும் முயற்சிக்கான இவரது அமெரிக்க வருகைக்கு, இந்த மறுப்புத் தெரிவிக்கப்பட்டுள்ளது.

சிறிலங்காவில் நடைபெறும் ஆயுதப் போராட்டம், கடந்த 30 வருடங்களாகத் தொடரும் சிறிலங்கா அரசின் இன அடக்குமறை போன்றவற்றை, இவரது பாடல்களில் வரும் சில வசனங்கள் வெளிப்படுத்துகின்றன என்று தெரிவித்துள்ள அமெரிக்க குடிவரவு இலாகாவினர், இவரது விசாவை வழங்குவதற்கு மறுப்புத் தெரிவித்துள்ளனர்.

அமெரிக்காவின் புகழ்பெற்ற MTV, XL Records, Prodigy, Rapper Dizzee Rascal போன்ற பல பிரபல்யமான இசை நிறுவனங்களுடன் இசை ஆல்பம் தயாரிப்பதற்கான ஒப்பந்தங்கள் ஏற்கனவே உருவாக்கப்பட்டுள்ளதால், மாயா அமெரிக்கா வருவதற்கான தேவை இருக்கிறது. இருப்பினும், 28 வயது நிரம்பிய இந்த உலகப் புகழ்பெற்ற ஈழத்தமிழ் பாடகிக்கு, அவர் லண்டனை வதிவிடமாகக் கொண்ட போதிலும், விசா மறுக்கப்படுவதனால், உலகெங்குமிருந்து ஆயிரக்கணக்கான ரசிகர்களின் எதிர்ப்பு அமெரிக்க அதிகாரிகள் மீது கிளம்பியிருக்கிறது.

-புதினம்

• கருத்துக்கள உறவுகள்

BIOGRAPHY:

M.I.A. a.k.a. Maya Arulpragasam

Maya was born in Hounslow, London but spent little time there as, at only 6 months old, her parents moved the family back to their native Sri Lanka. Motivated by her fathers wish to support the Tamil efforts to win independence from the majority Sinhalese population, her father became politically known as Arular and was a founder member of EROS (the Eelam Revolutionary Organisation of Students), a militant Tamil group.

In Sri Lanka, they lived at first on her grandparent’s remote farm, a collection of huts without electricity or running water. After a year, as her fathers involvement in militant activities increased, Maya, her older sister Kali and their mother moved to Jaffna in the far North of the country, where Maya's younger brother Sugu was born. Contact with her father was strictly limited as he was in hiding from the army, he occasionally visited in secret, slipping through the window at night and being introduced to the children as an uncle so that they didn't give him away to the army when they regularly came to question the family.

Eventually, as the civil war escalated, it became unsafe for them to stay in Sri Lanka, so her father sent tickets for them to relocate to Madras in India. Maya’s mother moved with the three children into an almost derelict house, 3 miles from the nearest road or neighbour. They scraped by for a while, with sporadic visits from Maya’s father, and the girls attended the local school, excelling as students. After a while, visits from friends and family grew less frequent and money grew very tight. The children became ill, Maya’s sister caught Typhoid and they struggled to eat enough. A visiting uncle took concern and moved them back to Sri Lanka again, where they settled back in Jaffna.

By now, the violence of the civil war was at its peak and the family repeatedly tried to flee the country. The army regularly shot Tamils seeking to move across border areas and bombed roads and escape routes. After several failed attempts to leave, Maya’s mother successfully made it out with the three children, on to India and then finally back to London, where they were housed as refugees.

It was in the late eighties and on a notoriously racist council estate in Mitcham, Surrey, that Maya began to learn English. Aged just eleven and in a new country, she was exposed to western radio for the first time by the noise resonating from her neighbours. Her affinity with hip-hop and rap began from there - the uncompromising attitudes of Public Enemy and N.W.A. clicked with a frustrated, energetic war-child trying to relate to grey and foreign surroundings.

Maya was a talented and creative student, eventually winning a place at London's Central Saint Martins Art School, where she studied fine art, film and video. Here, for the first time, she began to piece together some of the different strands of her life experience. In an early incarnation of what was later to become M.I.A., she learnt how to play off her different cultural personae against each other; layering rap iconography with the warfare pictures from her youth, Asian Britain with American new-wave film making style and St. Martin's fashion sense with refugee outlooks.

A successful art career beckoned and, for a while, seemed to be Maya's destined path. Her first-ever public exhibition of paintings featured candy coloured spray-paint and stencil pictures of the Tamil terrorist movement. Graffitied tigers and palm trees mixed with orange, green and pink camouflage, bombs, guns and freedom fighters on chip board off-cuts and canvases. The show was nominated for the alternative Turner prize, every painting sold and a monograph book of the collection was published by Pocko (which was simply entitled 'M.I.A.', an acronym for Missing In Acton).

A commission from Elastica's Justine Frischmann to provide the artwork and cover image for the band's second album led to Maya following the band on tour around forty American states, video-documenting the event. The support act on the tour was electro-clash supremo Peaches, who introduced Maya to the Roland MC-505 sequencing machine and gave her the courage to take on the one art-form she felt least confident in, music.

Back home in London, Maya and Justine got hold of their own 505 and, working with the simplest of set-ups (a second-hand 4-track, the 505 and a radio mic), Maya worked-up a series of six songs onto a demo tape which became her calling card to the industry. The tape found it's way into the hands of Steve Mackey and Ross Orton who then re-worked “Galang” into the monstrous meld of influences that would eventually propel M.I.A. into the limelight.

An addictive mashed-up recipe of dancehall, electro, grime and world music, Showbiz Records only pressed up 500 copies of “Galang” but that was enough for her to go on and win the instant support of DJs and the media seemingly everywhere – “M.I.A. has the look, the lyrics, the profile, the mongrel beats to be huge. If the majors have any sense, they'll pile in.”Sunday Times Culture.

The majors did indeed pile in with M.I.A. eventually opting to sign to XL Recordings (home to Dizzee Rascal, Basement Jaxx and the White Stripes), embracing them as they were the only label to offer her 100% creative control. Meanwhile, the underground success of “Galang” had continued to spread, even earning M.I.A. plaudits in the American Press - “The “hey ya ya hey” singing at the end of “Galang” is this year’s riot music.”The New Yorker.

For her next single release (out early ’05 in the US), “Sunshowers,” Maya again hooked up again with Ross Orton and Steve Mackey who had furnished her so successfully with the insane electro-squelch and mangled beats on “Galang.” Hitting the UK airwaves this past June, they pushed boundaries even further with hyper-minimalist production and a reworked chorus from Dr. Buzzards Original Savannah Band’s track of the same name to create a hypnotic template for her to fire out her young-girl bravado, this time about guerilla warfare and the Tamil-Sinhalese civil war.

With this first single proper barely on the shelves and no gigs at all to her name, New York's Fader magazine made her their cover star with the strap-line ‘THIS IS M.I.A. - MUSIC'S NOW THING!’ She flew out to New York to perform her first ever live set (for the launch of the issue) to a screaming crowd of hyped fans and then stayed to see Matthew Williamson open and close his fashion week runway show with “Sunshowers.”

The accompanying video for “Galang”, featuring multiple M.I.A.’s amid a backdrop of her graffiti artwork animated and brought to life, was directed by Ruben Fleischer and art directed by M.I.A. herself. On the surface it looked like a colourful pop video but watch it carefully and you’ll see scenes of urban Britain and the ongoing Sri Lankan civil war being depicted and delivered with a wry sense of humour. M.I.A. is fast proving herself to be a far from ordinary pop star.

Her debut album, Arular, is set for release in February 2005. Titled in acknowledgment of her father's past, it follows the same philosophy that unites all strands of the M.I.A. project - cut and paste. The mix of production credits on the album all feature forays into new territory for the collaborators, with ex-Pulp member Steve Mackey doing dancehall and pop-maestro Richard X working with Sri Lankan nursery rhymes; and from her hand-sprayed artwork on the record sleeves, lyrics that mix Tamil, cockney and American slang to her tracksuits and hoodies specially sewn from the brightest, boldest African print fabrics, or Mowgli dance moves for ragga beats - M.I.A. creates culture clashes that work; ‘a unique voice unafraid to mix big issues with cool sounds’ (Harpers & Queen)

http://www.beggars.com/us/mia/

• கருத்துக்கள உறவுகள்

http://www.morphizm.com/recommends/mashup/...sh0705_mia.html

On 9/11/2001, I talked on the phone with my mother after finding out that one of my best friends, who worked in the south tower, was alive. My mom was not terribly helpful. “Well, I hate to say this, but now you know how the rest of the world lives. These sorts of things happen in most other countries every day.” My mother was born and raised in Colombia , where her family was once smuggled out of the country to Ecuador in an avocado truck because her father had not picked a political affiliation and each side considered him a traitor. Their farm was raided and their home was burnt to the ground.

M.I.A. is bringing that same sort of message to the States with Arular , wrapped up in sexy dance beats and electro hip hop grooves. "You could be a follower, but who's your leader/ Break that circle, it could kill ya,” she raps on her self titled track, the most clearly political, hidden at the end of the album. M.I.A.'s personal history is an integral part of the music, as it is with most artists. She was inspired by her surroundings, which were as diverse and wild as her music has turned out to be. Born in Sri Lanka , her father was a Tamil Tiger (considered a terrorist at home) and remained a mystery to her for most of her youth. The family was relocated to a shanty in India for a time, then back to Sri Lanka , and eventually out to the refugee ghettoes of West London . There she watched her house get broken into routinely, was spit on for being brown, and became obsessed with hip hop.

Arular , named after her father, is a beautiful mess of hip hop, dancehall, bhangra, baile funk and electro. It's primitive in the sense of her sound, which is simple yet multilayered, and somewhat repetitive, but also achingly earnest for these same reasons. It's accessible and believable. She pulls the standard hip hop tricks: namechecking herself and her influences (Missy Elliott & Timbaland, the P.L.O.), throwing in little “skits” between songs (one about her “freedom fighting dad” and another about learning how to pronounce the word “banana”) and creating beats so big they could sink a low-rider. Her voice conveys both innocence and sexiness, making her grooves all the more sultry. However, when the music stops on “Galang” and her sing-a-long yodel starts up… “Ya ya heeeeey – ho oh eey ooohh…” It's straight out of the jungle.

There are a lot of moments like that on this album, when one hears rhythms and sounds you just don't expect from a Roland synthesizer and a girl from London . And many people may be too busy dancing to notice the lyrics at first… The tropical sensual ness of “Amazon” breaks down with “blindfolded under homemade lanterns somewhere in the Amazon they're holding me ransom,” and the extremely dancey “10$” is a rant against teenage prostitution. But M.I.A. really pulls no punches on a dreamy rap called “Sunshowers,” which lulls the listener in with the beats, and then beats you up with the violence of her surroundings: “ Semi-9 and snipered him, on that wall they posted him -

They cornered him and then just murdered him… He told them he didn't know them, he wasn't there, they didn't know him. They showed him a picture then - Ain't that you with the Muslims?”

For whatever reason, the American public is loving M.I.A. Whether it is because her music sounds just as fun following up J.J. Fad as it does mixing with Peaches and LCD Soundsystem, or perhaps the primal ness of it appeals on a deeper level. Or maybe because the reality of the United States is that there are more and more people from all over the world leaving their traces on our collective culture, and M.I.A. has tapped into that with her protest world music and people are ready to hear it. Regardless, M.I.A. has the need to convey a message, and the need to make people dance, and she seems to be succeeding at both.

இணைபிற்கு நன்றி கந்தப்பு (காந்தப் பூ) றப் பாடல்களில் இதுவும் ஜோரான றாப்பாடல்தான். எனக்கு தெரிந்த நண்பர்களிடன் இந்த இணைப்பினை கொடுக்க வேண்டும் போல உள்ளது. :lol:

Archived