Jeyaseelan needs your help again

Sri Lanka Campaign Newsletter <srilankacampaign@lists.srilankacampaign.org>
9:53 AM (8 hours ago)

to Sri
Dear friends,

We previously wrote about our attempt to prevent the deportation of Mr Jeyaseelan. On that occasion the deportation was stopped. We initially reported that he had received an emergency injunction, but it later emerged that this was not the case. What actually happened was that the Home Office cancelled the removal of their own volition, claiming that Mr Jeyaseelan was too disruptive to be removed. But to our knowledge Mr Jeyaseelan was not being disruptive at all and so it appears that this was simply a convenient excuse.

There are two potential reasons why this could have happened. One is that it could well be that your pressure paid off, and they wished to avoid the negative publicity of a deportation and wait until our attention was elsewhere. Or even more cynically it could be that, as they knew that Mr Jeyaseelan is no longer entitled to legal aid and could not afford a private lawyer, they were simply hoping to wait him out.

But if that is the game they are playing then it will not work. Incredibly selfless lawyers have agreed to represent him pro-bono and we have been keeping a close eye on the case.

But now we need your help once again. Mr Jeyaseelan is again scheduled to be deported, this time at 8am on the 7th of January.

We are urgently trying to obtain fresh forensic medical evidence to back up a judicial review application which would keep Mr Jeyaseelan in the country. But this will not be possible before the 7th. Almost as if they knew this the Home Office are rushing this deportation through over the holiday period.

So please write once again to the Home Secretary and Qatar Airlines asking them to use their discretion not to deport Mr Jeyaseelan until he can be seen by forensic experts.

Mr Jeyaseelan is feeling suicidal. He is convinced that he will be tortured, sexually assaulted and murdered if he is returned to Sri Lanka. He has written a statement he has asked us to share. So convinced is he that he is going to die if he is removed that he has referred to this statement as his "last testimony".

We include below his statement*, and a sample email to send to the Home Secretary and Qatar Airlines. Please take a few moments to send a few emails, and please spread the word.

Kind regards

The Sri Lanka Campaign

Please email the home office (mayt@parliament.uk, pscorrespondence@cabinet-office.gsi.gov.uk, Privateoffice.external@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk and CITTO@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk) and demand that this deportation be stopped.

Please also contact Qatar Airlines and demand that they use their discretion not to fly him. You can contact them on tell-us@qatarairways.com.qa or 0333 320 2454.

Model letter:

Dear Home Secretary/Qatar airlines.

Please use your discretion not to remove Mr Jeyaseelan Thirukkumaran. He is currently slated to be removed on flight QR006/QR662 via Doha to Colombo at 08:00 on the 7th of January.

Mr Jeyaseelan is a survivor of torture and horrendous abuse. His ordeal, and the questioning of his sister, show that he remains a person of interest to the Sri Lankan Government. While the Home Office may feel that his involvement with the LTTE was fleeting and inconsequential, it is clear from the actions of the Sri Lankan Government that they do not feel that way.

Mr Jeyaseelan was due to be removed two weeks ago but the removal order was cancelled at the last minute. He is in the process of filing a Judicial Review which would keep him in the country (his previous lawyers having failed to do this he has now had new counsel). However he needs fresh forensic medical evidence to do so. Independent forensic medical examiners have agreed to see him at their first available appointment. However they cannot see him before the 7th and the Home Office's decision to deport Mr Jeyaseelan with undue haste over the Christmas period may result in a grave miscarriage of justice.

Mr Jeyaseelan is feeling suicidal. He is convinced that he will be tortured, sexually assaulted and murdered if he is returned to Sri Lanka. He has written a statement he has asked to share with the world. So convinced is he that he is going to die if he is removed that he has referred to this statement as his "last testimony". I have included that statement below.

Please do the right thing and make sure Mr Jeyaseelan is not on that flight. If he is then you will be responsible for what happens next.

Kind regards,

"My Last Testimony - Please Prevent the Genocide and Crimes in Sri Lanka against Tamils" by Jeyaseelan Thirukkumaran

Dear Sir / Madam,

My name is Mr Jeyaseelan Thirukkumaran and I am writing to you to record my last testimony as I am facing removal to Sri Lanka where I will definitely be tortured to death. I would like you to document my last testimony as I want you to to use this to prevent the same tragedy happening to anyone. At least my death should save others.

I am an ethic Tamil from Jaffna in Northern Sri Lanka. I was born on 28th May 1989 in Vavuniya. I am from a well-educated and decent family. I studied bioscience in Sri Lanka and had a good future.

I was the Head prefect in my School and I became involved in assisting the LTTE with their cultural events. They fought for the independence of the Tamils and not to separate the Country. I also helped them in their propaganda by preparing posters and arranging speeches in the villages. I continued to do this until 2006. My cousin was a member of the LTTE who attained martyrdom in fighting against the Sri Lankan army. Although I do not agree with the LTTE’s violent means of fighting, I am a Tamil Nationalist and I believe in independent Tamil homeland for our people.

On 28th July 2009, I was arrested by the Sri Lankan army and CID on suspicion of supporting the LTTE. I was detained and interrogated. I was subjected to torture and sexual abuse until I was released in 10th December 2009 by paying a bribe. I was required to report on a monthly basis.

I applied for a visa in February 2010, but arrested by the Sri Lankan army again when I went to report. I was again tortured and raped. I sustained visible scars from the torture. My father paid a bribe via the EPDP members and I was released on 1st September 2010.

I fled the country using a student visa and arrived in UK on 16th September 2010, using a student visa valid from 24th August 2009 to 24th February 2010. I never wanted to claim asylum, as I wanted to return to Sri Lanka after problems settle down in Sri Lanka.

My sister was abducted on her way to work in December 2010. This was documented by the local medias. She was threatened to provide information about me and she had to give them a copy of my passport in order to secure her own release. This was also reported to the Human Rights Commission of Sri Lanka.

In late April 2013, I received information from my family that my mother had been receiving threatening phone calls about my return. After learning this, I was forced to claimed asylum. However my claimed was refused as I had no money to hire a Barrister to argue my case and to obtain Medical Report to prove that I was tortured and raped. I believed at least Britain would give me safety and justice. But I am the most unluckiest person. They want to remove me to Sri Lanka. I am sure that I will be tortured to death. However I am determined to end my life before being deported as I have no strength to face the torture again.

I am writing to you during the last days of my life. My life is completely destroyed by the Sri Lankan Government. I don't want this to happen even to my enemy. Please do some thing to prevent this. Tamils are also humans. Why the international world is turning a blind eye? You all failed to stop the war in 2009. At least save my people now. Even after the end of the war, this is what happening in Sri Lanka? Are you going to let the Sri Lankan Government continue its genocide and eliminate the last Tamil in Sri Lanka?

I am happy to give evidence in any international proceedings against the Sri Lankan Government for the Crimes they are committing. There is nothing worst to happen to me. Please record my testimony before I am killed by the Sri Lankan army and use this to prevent this from happening to others. At least my death should help to save my people.

Yours truly,

Mr Jeyaseelan Thirukkumaran
Immigration Removal Centre
Perimeter Road South
London Gatwick Airport
Gatwick
RH6 0PQ

* We wouldn't necessarily agree with everything in the statement, particularly the reference to "martyrdom", but we thought it important to share Mr Jeyaseelan's thoughts in his own words.

--
The Sri Lanka Campaign for Peace and Justice
http://srilankacampaign.org

You can donate to the campaign here

----------------------------------------

SriLankaCampaign mailing list

To unsubscribe from this list, email srilankacampaign-unsubscribe@lists.srilankacampaign.org
To subscribe to this list, email srilankacampaign-subscribe@lists.srilankacampaign.org

Visit our website for more information on the situation in Sri Lanka http://www.srilankacampaign.org

Archived